Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sunday Extra - 1981 Fleer Star Stickers



While going through my 1981 cards for this project I came across the Ken Landreaux card shown above. I have no idea why I have it as I am not a Twins fan and was never a Ken Landreaux fan. I remember him as a Dodger outfielder, but really know very little about him as a player. I really don't remember where I picked this card up from.

It is from a 1981 set issued from Fleer. They are stickers, but the cardboard back and the stats on the back make it just like a baseball card if the sticker is left unpeeled. In fact the backs are identical to the regular 1981 Fleer set. I am not going to use stickers for this project, but I will make an exception in this case since these actually seem more like cards than stickers. They don't hide the fact that they are stickers, based on the tabs to let you peel the stickers away shown on each of the four corners of the card.

I didn't know much about this set at all, considering I had only 1 card, so I did some digging around on the internet. I came across an entry on a blog called The Fleer Sticker Project, which has all the information one would seem to need regarding this set, including a picture of each card. The only thing I would add is that this issue most likely came out at the same time as the regular baseball cards, as several of the players, including Landreaux and Dave Winfield shown above, played on different teams in 1981 than what they are pictured with on their stickers. Also every team, except the Toronto Blue Jays, has at least one player in the set.

After being able to see the pictures of every card, this is again another set that will not help me with the overall project as there are no players who don't have cards in any of the other sets, but it is an interesting issue from a company able to issue cards of current players for the first time in 1981.

No comments:

Post a Comment